Stroll Discovery Trails telling Wenlock and Mandeville’s story
All Mascots listed on this page can be found within the Mayor of London's photoroute client page
Wenlock was born from a drop of steel from a steelworks in Bolton and is named after the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock, which held a forerunner of the current Olympic Games in 1850.
Wenlock’s skin is made of highly polished steel, allowing him to reflect the personalities and appearances of people he meets. His eye is a camera, allowing him to film his adventures and he has a taxi light on his head with his initial in it. On his arms he wears the Olympic rings as wristbands. The shape of Wenlcock’s head represents the three places on the podium.
A-Z Map Wenlock:
The A to Z occupies a very special place in our hearts. A London home isn’t complete without one and no savvy traveller would set out without it. As symbolic of the city as the tube map, the A to Z is synonymous with London.
The test that London black cab drivers take, called ‘The Knowledge’, uses the A-Z maps of London as a base and the maps for the test and acb drivers are supplied by the A-Z. ‘The Knowledge’ is infamous for being extremely detailed and cab drivers sit the final exam an average of 12 times before passing it.
Queen’s Guard Wenlock:
The Queen's Guard is the name given to contingents of infantry and cavalry soldiers charged with guarding the official royal residences in London. They are popularly believed to be purely ceremonial; however this is not the case as they are in fact real serving soldiers in the army. The Queen’s Guard are in charge of guarding Buckingham Palace and St. James’ Palace. One of the reasons the Queen’s Guard attract a lot of attention is that traditionally they are not allowed to move. Typically a Guardsman spends to hours on duty and four off. He is not expected to stand still for any more than ten minutes at a time. Every ten minutes or so the Guards may march up and down in front of their sentry box before resuming stillness.
St Thomas' Hospital is a large NHS, administratively a part of Guy's & St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. It is a large teaching hospital and is, with Guy's Hospital and King's College Hospital, the location of King's College London School of Medicine.
It has provided health care freely or under charitable auspices since the 12th century and was originally located in Southwark. St Thomas' Hospital is one of London's most famous hospitals, associated with names such as Astley Cooper, William Cheselden, Florence Nightingale, Linda Richards, Edmund Montgomery and Agnes Elizabeth Jones. It is a prominent London landmark - largely due to its location on the opposite bank of the River Thames to the Houses of Parliament. The hospital is named after St. Thomas Becket. Originally it was run by a mixed order of Augustinian monks and nuns, dedicated to St Thomas Becket. It provided shelter and treatment for the poor, sick, and homeless. In the fifteenth century, Richard Whittington endowed a laying-in ward for unmarried mothers. The monastery was dissolved in 1539 during the Reformation, but reopened in 1551 and rededicated to Thomas the Apostle. It was reopened through the efforts of the City of London who obtained the grant of the site and a charter from Edward VI and has remained open ever since.
Pearly Kings and Queens are an organised charitable tradition of working class culture in London.
The practice of wearing clothes decorated with pearl buttons originated in the 19th century. It is first associated with Henry Croft, an orphan street sweeper who collected money for charity. At the time, London apple sellers were in the habit of wearing trousers decorated at the seams with pearl buttons that had been found by market traders. Croft adapted this to create a pearly suit to draw attention to himself and aid his fund-raising activities. In 1911 an organised pearly society was formed in Finchley, north London.
The ‘pearlies’ are now divided into several active charitable groups.
Carnaby Street Wenlock:
Carnaby Street is a pedestrianised shopping street in London, United Kingdom, located in the Soho district, near Oxford Street and Regent Street. It is home to numerous fashion and lifestyle retailers, including a large number of independent fashion boutiques. Historically, Carnaby Street derives its name from Karnaby House, located to its east and originally erected in 1683. The street was almost completely built up by 1690 with small houses and a market was developed in the 1820s.
In 1934 the Florence Mills Social Club was opened. This jazz club became a gathering spot for supporters of Pan-Africanism.
By the 1960s, Carnaby Street proved popular for followers of both the Mod and hippie styles. Many independent fashion boutiques, and designers such as Mary Quant, Marion Foale, Sally Tuffin, Lord John, Merc, Take Six, and Irvine Sellars were located in Carnaby Street as well as various underground music bars such as the Roaring Twenties in the surrounding streets. With bands such as Small Faces, The Who, and Rolling Stones appearing in the area to work, shop, and socialize, it became one of the coolest destinations associated with the Swinging London of the 1960s.
Union Flag Mandeville:
The Union Flag, also known as the Union Jack, is the flag of the United Kingdom. The current design dates from the Union of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801. The flag consists of the red cross of Saint George (patron saint of England), edged in white, superimposed on the Cross of St Patrick (patron saint of Ireland), which are superimposed on the Saltire of Saint Andrew (patron saint of Scotland).
Westminster Abbey Wenlock:
Westminster Abbey is the traditional place of coronation and burial site for English, later British and later still (and currently) monarchs of the Commonwealth realms. The abbey is a Royal Peculiar and briefly held the status of a cathedral from 1540 to 1550.
According to a tradition first reported by Sulcard in about 1080, the Abbey was first founded in the time of Mellitus (d. 624), Bishop of London, on the present site, then known as Thorn Ey (Thorn Island); based on a late tradition that a fisherman called Aldrich on the River Thames saw a vision of Saint Peter near the site. This seems to be quoted to justify the gifts of salmon from Thames fishermen that the Abbey received in later years. In the present era, the Fishmonger's Company still gives a salmon every year.
The term Cockney has both geographical and linguistic associations. Geographically and culturally, it often refers to working-class Londoners, particularly those in the East End. Linguistically, it refers to the form of English spoken by this group. Cockney speakers have a distinctive accent and dialect, and occasionally use rhyming slang (such as using ‘apples and pears’ to mean ‘stairs’ or ‘Adam and Eve’ for ‘believe’).
Charles John Huffam (d. 1870) was an English writer and social critic who is generally regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian period and the creator of some of the world's most memorable fictional characters. During his lifetime Dickens's works enjoyed unprecedented popularity and fame, and by the twentieth century his literary genius was fully recognized by critics and scholars. His novels and short stories continue to enjoy an enduring popularity among the general reading public. Dickens is the author of, among many, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities.
Oxford Street is a major thoroughfare in the City of Westminster in the West End of London, United Kingdom. It is Europe's busiest shopping street, and as of 2011 had approximately 300 shops. The street was formerly part of the London-Oxford road which began at Newgate, City of London, and was known as the Oxford Road. Oxford Street is home to a number of major department stores and numerous flagship stores, as well as hundreds of smaller shops. It is the biggest shopping street within Inner London, and though not necessarily the most expensive or fashionable, is considered to be the most important, and forms part of a larger shopping district with Regent Street, Bond Street and a number of other smaller nearby streets.
For many British retail chains their Oxford Street branch is regarded as their 'flagship' store.
Afternoon Tea Wenlock:
Tea consumption increased dramatically during the early nineteenth century and it is around this time that Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford is said to have complained of "having that sinking feeling" during the late afternoon. At the time it was usual for people to take only two main meals a day, breakfast, and dinner at around 8 o'clock in the evening. The solution for the Duchess was a pot a tea and a light snack, taken privately in her boudoir during the afternoon. Later friends were invited to join her in her rooms at Woburn Abbey and this summer practice proved so popular that the Duchess continued it when she returned to London, sending cards to her friends asking them to join her for "tea and a walking the fields." Other social hostesses quickly picked up on the idea and the practice became respectable enough to move it into the drawing room. Before long all of fashionable society was sipping tea and nibbling sandwiches in the middle of the afternoon.
Visit Mayor of London's photoroute client page
to see Wenlock and Mandeville or get the app